You Were Mine
By Clara
 
Summary: �Please tell me she�s not real and you�re really coming home to stay�
Set: Right after 100 days.
Disclaimer: They�re not mine.
Rating: Sam/Jack Angst, Sam/Janet friendship.

Archive: SJD yes all others please ask first.
Author�s notes: Inspired by Emony�s upcoming music video to Dixie Chicks- You were mine. Thanks to LauraJo for beta-ing.
Dedication: To LauraJo, Jen and Emony

 
She wondered when the rain started and just how long she�d been stood there for.
 
She�d managed to do her job and bring the colonel home but it didn�t bring her any comfort at that moment.
 
She�d heard him ask Laira to come back with him and she was sure he�d rather have stayed there with her.
 
A shudder went though her as she realised, he�d lost hope. He hadn�t thought she could solve the problem and bring it home.
 
�Sam, honey? Are you out here?�
 
She ignored Janet and continued staring straight ahead, hands clenched.
 
The tears fell quicker now, mingling with the rain to form tracks down her cheeks.
 
This wasn�t supposed to happen. She had really thought she was starting to mean something to him, he wasn�t meant to get stuck on some planet and meet someone else.
 
She knew he hadn�t meant to hurt her, but that didn�t mean much right then. She looked around when she heard the sound of footsteps squelching in the mud.
 
�Sam? You need to come inside, you�ll make yourself sick if you stay out here much longer.� Janet laid a hand on Sam�s arm and tried to pretend that she couldn�t see the pain her friend was in. �Come on.�
 
The fight left her then and she willingly let Janet lead her back inside the mountain, for once not caring that the SF�s on duty could see how upset she was.
 
Silently, Janet led her to her quarters and opened the door. She pulled Sam inside and sat her down on the edge of the bed before beginning the search for a change of clothes.
 
Finding some BDUs, she handed them over to Sam who took them automatically.
 
�Sam, you need to change into some dry clothes, then get some sleep. You�ll feel better in the morning.�
 
It was an empty promise and they both knew it. She wouldn�t feel any better, but by tomorrow she�d be back in control and it would be nearly impossible to tell how hard this had all been for her.
 
Sam changed mechanically, before sitting back down on the bed and for the first time since Janet had pulled her out of the rain, she let her eyes meet Janet�s.
 
�I really care about him Janet.� She uttered the words and squeezed her eyes shut again, trying to prevent the tears threatening to fall.
 
Janet pulled her friend into a hug. It really wasn�t fair. Sam had slaved for months trying to bring the colonel home. For him to act like he wasn�t grateful on top of everything else had hurt Sam deeply and Janet couldn�t help the wave of anger that came over her.
 
They sat like that for a while until Janet could hear that Sam had stopped crying and pulled back. �Get some sleep, ok? I�ll come back and check on you later.�
 
Nodding, Sam slid under the covers and closed her eyes. Janet made it to the door before looking back over her shoulder at the women quickly falling asleep.
 
She doubted it was such a good thing that Sam would be back to hiding her feelings tomorrow. The colonel would never know what he had done to her and Janet couldn�t help but wonder if it would happen again, no matter how unintentional it may be.
 
Sighing, she left the room and closed the door quietly, before making her way back to the infirmary. She hoped she was wrong, but the likelihood was, the situation between Sam and her CO was still to cause them both a lot more heartache.